Friday, April 29, 2011

Thankful

Being that it is Thanksgiving weekend I thought that this would be a good idea to write about what I am thankful for.

I know it sounds really cliche to say that I am thankful to be here and thankful for the family that I am surrounded with, but I do have a really good reason as to why.

On Thursday my mother and I decided to drive to Regina to visit her mother and my Dads mother. We left in the morning had a visit with my Grandma and then had a visit with my Gran. Both visits went well and I was happy to see them both. I find it is really important to have a good relationship with your Grandparents. Not everyone is lucky enough to know their grandparents. Its also really important to me that Ella has a relationship with them. I don't know of any other child that has three sets of grandparents, three great grandmothers, a great grandfather and a great great grandmother. I don't even really know anyone else my own age who still has a living great grandparent.

Being the time of year that it is dusk comes a lot sooner. I find this to to be a happy and sad thing. I only like it because I like to go for walks at dusk when it gets cooler and well Ella is asleep by the time darkness comes in the summer. Anyhow, my mother is driving home, she doesn't mind driving in the dark, especiallly since the highway is double lane the whole way home. A set of headlights is coming toward us and it looks to be like it is in the wrong lane. Sure enough the lights were on our side of the highway coming straight for us. Thanfully there was no one in the right lane and she was able to move over. This person was driving awfully fast, they had no idea what was going on, didn't swerve or anything. Combine that with the fact that my mom was doing the speed limit of 110km an hour. Had the two cars collided... lets just say we are very lucky to be here right now.

At first only shock hit me. Why on Earth was this person on the wrong side of the road?! There is no way that person is sober! We pulled to the side of the highway and my mom called 911. We have to get someone to get this person off the road before someone else is hit. She discusses it with the RCMP and we sit there for a bit while she regains her ability to drive after such a shock. Once she started to drive I began to think about my beautiful little two year old in the back seat, and the baby moving inside my body and just started to cry.

About 2o minutes down the highway, maybe even less than that, we see an ambulance with its lights on speeding by. All we can think is "oh my, I hope no one is seriously injured." That was the point when my mom started to cry. Thankfully we made it home safe and sound. I put my sleeping babe in her bed and just held my husband and cried, thanking God over and over again for keeping us safe.

Tonight my mom called. She said that the RCMP contacted her and that they will be asking for a statement from both of us. It turns out that there WAS an accident after due to this driver. The passenger side of his car collided with a semi. His vehicle is completely demolished, the axil on the semi broken, and he denies that he was drunk. The RCMP told her that three hours later his blood alcohol level was 2.54. That is three times the legal limit. I just have to shake my head, if that is what happened to a semi.... I don't even want to think of what would have happened to the four of us.

This weekend I am going to pay extra attention to what I am thankful for. Even on the days where my family is driving me absolutely crazy, I would take that over the alternative anyday. I have a beautiful little girl, a soon to be little baby in my arms, an amazing husband and all of the extended family that anyone could imagine. A house, a dog and a whole lot of love around me. I couldn't ask for better things to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


Post written October 9 2010 moved from previous blog

No comments:

Post a Comment