Friday, April 29, 2011

A Long Talk

Yesterday afternoon a great friend of mine came over for a visit. I love to visit this friend. We can talk for hours it seems. I have only known her a couple of years but I feel like I have known her all my life.  She is very important to my family, she was my baptismal sponsor and also Ella's sponsor. My friend recently quit her job. I have never seen her more happy! She had some banked time and holidays to the point where she is now able to take two months time to figure out what she is going to do for the time being and try to get into seminary for the fall. I am so proud of her! For such a long time I was worried about her because she has always been so busy and so stressed. She hasn't been taking good care of herself and always seems to put the needs of others ahead of her own, while this is admirable, it is also one of her faults. She had expressed to me that she was at a point in her life where she did not care if she saw the next day. She thought who would really care if I was gone. I told her that I would care. Her response was that I would make new friends. I then told her " A new friend, never replaces an old friend." If something were to happen to her I would be beyond words for how upset I would be. Since quitting her job she has decided to start taking better care of herself again, which makes me so happy to hear! She said that she sat down and thought about how she is now and how she wants to be and that she knew she needed to make changes. She said " I know I don't have any of my own kids, but I don't want Ella to grow up and say, my Godmother died when I was ten. I want to have a lap for her to sit on (She is a small, but overweight woman) and when she starts to play around I want to be able to chase after her and hear her laugh." This brought tears to my eyes! She cares so much for Ella and every time she says something like this it just reaffirms that Matt and I made the right choice in choosing her to be that part of our daughters life.  This past weekend she was asked to give a sermon at two churches that currently do not have pastors. I wound up missing her sermon and I just felt terrible. She invited me to the Bible study group at our church for this morning saying that she was going to be reading her sermon again because everyone wanted to hear it. I made sure to be there this time. There was no way I was going to miss that sermon again. It was so beautiful, touching and well written. She had me crying! I just think that she is one of the most beautiful people that I have ever met and my life would not be the same without her.

Love you my friend!

Post written March 25, 2009 moved from previous blog

No comments:

Post a Comment